How Long Does a Furnace Last?
A furnace is one of the most important investments that you’ll ever make. Not only will a well-cared-for furnace last for 15-30 years, but it will also provide comfort over the course of its life—no one wants to try to survive an Indiana winter without heat! The exact amount of time that furnace will last depends, in large part, on how well it’s cared for. Here are some tips for extending the life of a furnace, as well as signs that a furnace may need some TLC—
Tips for Extending the Life of a Furnace
The best way to extend the life of your furnace is to perform regular maintenance. Important furnace maintenance that can help your furnace perform optimally for years to come includes:
- Change your filters. Changing your filters is one of the easiest and most important maintenance hacks that you can manage solo. Your filters should be changed about once every three months, although more often if you have pets.
- Clean the blower blades. By removing the combustion chamber door, you’ll be able to access the blower. Remove the blower to clean it. You’ll notice the blower blades, which will likely be covered with quite a bit of dust if it’s been a while since the last cleaning. Use a vacuum or a dry cloth to get these looking good again.
- Inspect the burner flames. While you have the chamber door open, you should also inspect the burner flames. To do this, turn on your thermostat and take a peek at the burner flames—do they all look to be of an even height? Are they all burning blue? If the flames are yellow, the burners are likely dirty. You should call a pro for this job.
- Call a professional for a tune-up. If you don’t have the time to maintain your furnace on your own or if you don’t feel up to the challenge, you can always call a professional for help. At Naughton Mechanical LLC, we offer superior furnace maintenance services.
Signs a Furnace Needs Repairs
Note that while great maintenance will help to extend the life of a furnace, you should call a professional for repairs if you notice any of the following:
- Furnace won’t turn on/off
- Strange smells
- Banging or clicking sound
- Whirring noise that’s different from usual
- Inconsistent temperatures
- Inexplicable increase in energy bills
Call Naughton Mechanical LLC for All of Your Furnace Servicing Needs
At Naughton Mechanical LLC, we specialize in furnace maintenance, furnace repair, new furnace installation, and furnace replacement. To learn more about our furnace services and how to extend the life of your furnace, call our team directly today or send us a message online.